Robot U’s Core mission –
Offering parents a worthy enrichment program for their financial investment and their child’s time that both expands their students grasp and develops their sense of confidence in science, technology, engineering, and math while learning the cooperation and team building skills that will serve them well in to the future and put them on the path to higher learning and success, all while having fun.
WeDo is a wonderful robotics course for young students and was developed for students 7+ in mind. In this class your students will building 12 theme-based activities and learn basic programming and robotics with an easy to use graphical interface on a tablet computer. The drag-and-drop software, powered by LabVIEW, is icon-based and provides an intuitive programming environment.. The activities are divided into four themes: Amazing Mechanisms, Wild Animals, Play Soccer and Adventure Stories.
Key Learning Values:
- Programming, using software , designing and creating a working model
- Use software to acquire information
- Use feedback to adjust a programming system output
- Working with simple machines, gears, levers, pulleys, transmission of motion
- Measuring time and distance, adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, estimating, randomness, using variables
- Narrative and journalistic writing, storytelling, explaining, interviewing, interpreting
LEGO® MINDSTORMS® enables students to build, program and test their solutions based on real life robotics technology.
Students are encouraged to brainstorm in order to find creative solutions to problems and then develop them through a process of selecting, building, testing and evaluating them.
This is also an excellent way of getting students to talk to each other and cooperate as well as giving them hands on experience with an array of sensors, motors and intelligent units. Instructions for additional models are included in the software.
Key Learning Values:
- Design and build programmable robots using motors, sensors, gears, wheels, axles, and other technical components
- Understand and interpret two-dimensional drawings to create three-dimensional models
- Build, test, troubleshoot and revise designs to improve robot performance
- Gain practical, hands-on experience using mathematical concepts such as estimating and measuring distance, time, speed
- Communicate effectively using scientific and technical language
Kodu Game Lab is a visual programming language that allows anyone, even those without
programming knowledge and experience, to create rich 3D games. Kodu uses intuitive icons to control the characters and objects with character behaviors expressed in physical terms. Game Lab will demonstrate how anyone can create rich and exciting games.
The course will cover the skills needed to design and create worlds and games with Kodu Game Lab and will also investigate the design process.
Through designing and creating their own games, participants will learn how powerful and interesting games can be created with simple building blocks and techniques (similar to Minecraft).
The course will:
- enable participants to program characters and objects
- enable participants to build 3D worlds
- introduce the key elements of games design
- provide a rich range of code examples
- provide a rich range of game play examples
- provide examples of how Kodu Game Lab has been used in schools
- give plenty of hands on time so that participants are confident in using Kodu Game Lab