The LEGO® Education WeDo Construction Set is an easy-to-use set that introduces young students to robotics. Students will be able to build LEGO models featuring working motors and sensors; program their models; and explore a series of cross-curricular, theme-based activities while developing their skills in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics as well as language, literacy, and social studies.
This is a great class to introduce students to these concepts and plant the seed for future interests in engineering and programming. There are many similarities between this graphical interface and the significantly more advanced MINDSTORMS interface that we use in the advance robotic classes. The sets use motors, sensors, and a computer to program them just like MINDSTORMS.
The drag-and-drop software powered by LabVIEW™, is icon based, provides an intuitive programming environment. Activities are divided into four themes – Amazing Mechanisms, Wild Animals, Play Soccer, and Adventure Stories.
They will build ;
- Dancing Birds
- A Spinning Top
- A Drumming Monkey
- A Snapping Alligator (or is it a crocodile?)
- A Pouncing Lion
- A Flapping Bird
- A Goalie and Kicker
- Peek-a-boo People
- A Sea Plane
- A Waking Giant
- And a Rocking Ship
Students will be:
- Programming, using software , designing and creating working models
- Using the software to acquire information
- Using feedback to adjust a programming system output
- Working with simple machines, gears, levers, pulleys, transmission of motion
- Measuring time and distance, adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, estimating, randomness, using variables
- Doing narrative and journalistic writing, storytelling, explaining, interviewing, interpreting